Tuesday, February 03, 2009

LEHI'S DREAM OF THE TREE OF LIFE

The youth of church have been challenged by the general Young Men and Young Women's presidents to read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day.
As a bishopric we have challenged the youth of our ward, along with their leaders, to read 6 and 1/2 minutes a day. Our goal is to read a total of 1,000 hours by the end of the year.
Accepting this challenge I have been trying to read the Book of Mormon each day.
Sunday night while doing my reading I happened to be reading Lehi's dream for perhaps the 99th time in my life. There was one passage that made a very strong impression on me as I read the story of the dream it was I Nephi 8:28

"And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed,
because of those that were scoffing at them;
and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost".
My heart bleeds for those who have tasted the fruit and then because of the influences of the world or peer pressure or the scoffing, become ashamed of the things they know to be true and fall away.
It is not enough to just taste of the fruit and then go about our lives. We have to hold tight to the rod. We have to continue to feast upon the word of God, every day for the rest of our lives.
I pray everyday for my family and for my ward members, that we might all remain strong, endure to the end and do all that we can do to build our testimonies and those of our families.
Today Karen and I took the day of and toured the new Draper temple. what a beautiful edifice that has been built and will soon be dedicated to the Lord. The new temple is filled with gorgeous art work and murals. beautiful furnishings and stain glass windows. Nothing is to good for the Lord's house.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Funny that you talk about this scripture. We just had a good 15 minute talk about that very verse with our girls just a few moments ago!

Maddi and Sarah were also challenged to read the B.O.M. 5 minutes a day by their camp director. (You can see my blog for a photo). We have set our own personal goal of reading 6 pages a night. We just started on Sunday, but so far so good! My family set a challenge to have it read by the middle of October, so I'm hoping we can keep going strong!

I love the opportunities that it has given us each night to discuss the scriptures and the importance of them.

Anonymous said...

I guess I better jump on this band wagon. I'm so bad at making the time. It's not that I don't have it, I just don't do it. Good goal to start up. Not too late for the year.

Thanks Dad...for everything. thanks for not giving up on me and always helping me out. I love you.

G.Ma said...

Thanks Dan for sharing your testimony with us. I also would like to say that it breaks my heart for those who struggle with their testimonies. I do understand struggling. I have done that in my life. I have been on both sides and I can truly say with all my heart that I want to be on the side of God. I have felt how it feels to loose his spirit,and I do not want to go through that again. I have felt the internal peace and comfort that can only come through living the gospel and doing what it right so you can turn to our Father in Heaven for that security and peace. It is not an easy thing to do and many people stuggle with it sometimes a life time. But He and our Savior are there if you want them in your lifes. It does't mean you continually walk on a cloud, but you can feel his spirit if you truly want it. It takes a lot of strength--the gospel is not for whimps. Thanks for your love and concern for all of us!

Jen said...

Thank you for your testimony Bishop and Karen! That is why we love you both so much!

Kris and Q said...

Its neat to hear your testimony and how you feel about things. I am so grateful that you always give everyone good challenges to improve themselves and to try harder.
Q and I love the picture of you hiding behind your blinds.