Thursday, September 13, 2007



I spent all this week in Chicago attending the Graph Expo print show. So why the pictures of Nauvoo? Well we arrived on Saturday and then drove 5 hours to Nauvoo, spent Saturday night there, went to church and then looked around Nauvoo for a couple of hours and then drove all the way back to Chicago.
It has been years since I was last in Nauvoo and things have changed a lot. Of course the biggest change is the reconstruction of the temple. What a thrill to see it in person. Across and in front of the temple is a statue of Joseph and Hyrum. The story is that when the two of them left to go to Carthage they stopped at the temple site for the last time and talked about the importance of the temple, and then they rode on to Carthage never to return.
I also found a great model for church meetings. We went to the sacrament meeting they hold for the Nauvoo missionaries. Sacrament meeting ONLY and each week they have a couple speak that is about to leave the mission. I told my colleagues "what could be better? Sacrament meeting only and every Sunday is a missionary farewell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are beautiful and inspiring. It's amazing to know that even though those two brothers never returned from Carthage that they had all those glorious blessings that the temple allowed them.

And I like the sacrament only idea too!

Holly said...

As I read your comments and looked at the photos, I felt the spirit so strong and became so emotional. Thanks for sharing your testimony with the world.