Tuesday, March 03, 2009

NO FREE STUFF



Nobody has free stuff anymore. Unless you count toothpicks at restaurants.
I remember going on long road trips as a kid and all the gas stations had "free" maps. They were printed and distributed by the gas companies as a way to get you to patronize their establishments. Some also had "free" popcorn and of course you did not need to get out of the car. there was an attendant to fill your car with gas, wash your windows, check your tires and oil. And all without being asked, it was called "service" which is why gas stations were known for years as service stations.
As a kid I used to walk to the service station that was close to our house and check out all the new maps. I had quite a collection of maps, for places I had never been or would never go. But hey they were free. It is probably guys like me that brought and end to the free maps. I still love maps and love to plan road trips that I might still never take. I love road trips. I even went by auto once from Chicago to Salt Lake City. Not by choice. I was in Chicago on 9/11 and it was the only way we had to get home 23 and 1/2 hours from downtown Chicago to the Salt Lake Airport.

1 comment:

Kris and Q said...

Les Schwab still gives free popcorn. When that stops I'll be sad.